Ranu Maria Mondal was born on 5 November 1960. She is an Indian social media viral singer currently working in Bollywood (Hindi Film Industry). Himesh Reshammiya discovered her after she appeared on Superstar Singer, a singing reality show.
Ranu Mondal/Mandal Personal Details
|Ranu Maria Mondal
|Lata of Ranaghat & Ranu Bobby
|5 November 1960
|59 Years (as in 2019)
|Place of Birth
|Krishnanagar, West Bengal
|Ranaghat, West Bengal
|Husband – Bablu Mondal (Died), Daughter- Sathi Roy
|Her rendition of Lata Mangeshkar’s song “Ek Pyaar Ka Nagma Hai”
|Singing: ‘Teri Meri Kahani’ from the film “Happy Hardy and Heer” (2019)
You may also like:
- Kulbhushan Jadhav
- Nusrat Jahan
- Smita Sabharwal
- Ananya Pandey
- Shirley Setia
- Ankita Dave
- Peer Ahmad Shah
|Mohammad Rafi, Mukesh, Lata Mangeshkar
Social Media Accounts
Early Life, Biography & Wiki
Ranu Mondal was born on November 5, 1960, to a poor family, at Kartikpara, a village near Krishnanagar, Nadia, West Bengal, India.
She is a gray-haired, impoverished woman. Her father Aditya Kumar was a poor pedlar. She lost her parents on her childhood.
When she was 13 years old, she married late Babul Mondal, having a daughter, and rumoured that she had abandoned her mother for ten years.
Ranu Mondal sang ‘Ek Pyaar Ka Naghma hai, Maujon ki Ravaani hai’ songs in her melodious voice over the ‘shor’ of passengers, moving around in their hurried abandon, at the Railway Station of Ranaghat in West Bengal, India.
The beautiful song sung by Lata Mangeshkar is aptly from the movie ‘Shor’ which means ‘noise’ (1972). Even now this 70s song is one of the most melodious songs in Bollywood Film Industry.
When Ranu Mondal sang the song in her sweet voice at the railway station platform, created a resonance in millions of hearts around the World.
The two-minute video recorded/shot on July 21 by a commuter called Atindra Chakraborty on his phone and uploaded on the Social Media. By August first week, the video went viral and is now trending in the many countries of the world.
The two-minute video has skyrocketed Ranu to become an overnight star, within four days, the video transformed her life, who has been living a hand to mouth existence. A salon-done a free makeover for her; now, she looks younger and media-friendly.
Since she went viral with her singing, she has been getting calls from TV channels, Radio Channels, Philanthropic Institutions, Local Clubs, and Film Production Houses.
There is news that her daughter had separated from her for the past ten years, visited her recently.
Atindra Chakraborty, the man who recorded her singing, flooded with phone calls, says, “We are in touch with a Bengali band and may see her on stage this month.” He also said that they also received calls from a reality show, but it didn’t materialize because she doesn’t have an identity card.
It is not the first time her singing video has uploaded on Social Media on the internet. Tapan Das, one of her neighbors, had uploaded her singing video, but it didn’t grab the people’s recognition. The contrast of her singing is such a slow, touching song amid the hurried commotion of a railway platform, created that much-needed impact.
Ranu Mondal says, She is not a formally trained singer, but she has been, in her life, listening to famous singers like Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, and Mukesh. Until she got the recognition, she has been living off on the charity from train commuters and neighbors.
The little known fact is that Mondal and her husband used to work at Hindi films actor Feroze Khan’s house. Mandal said that ‘Feroze Khan was a very generous man. We used to live and work at his home.”
Ranu Mondal had a brush with fame, earlier in her 20s. She had used to touring cities as a part of an orchestra band for a local club. She got a nickname ‘Ranu Bobby’ post her rendering of songs from Bobby (1973).
However, since no one from her family supported her, she abandoned her passion. She felt joyous after she met her daughter after a long time of about a decade. She says, “This is my second life, and I will try to make the most of it.”
Atindra Chakraborty – The guy who uploaded Ranu Mondal’s singing video
Atinda Chakraborty has not only recorded Ranu Mondal‘s singing video and helped her to become famous but also ensured that she bagged good projects. Atinda’s interview is recorded and published on the Bong Official Channel on YouTube.
It is reported that actor Salman Khan was also impressed with her voice and offered her a flat worth ₹55 lakh in Mumbai, Maharashtra and also keen to record a song with her in any of his upcoming films.
After gaining popularity, the Sony Entertainment Television‘s team invited her on the set of Superstar Singer to let her know all over the world. During episode shooting, Himesh Reshammiya offered her the song to record with her.
This episode will telecast on 8th September 2019 on Sony at 20:00 PM IST.
Is Ranu Mondal India’s Ted Williams?
The recognition of Ranu Mondal is similar to the success story of Ted Williams, the now-famous American voice-over artist, author, philanthropist, and sportscaster.
Like her, in the 80s, he even had a minor shot at fame as a disc jockey and radio jockey. He then was fired for drug abuse and alcoholism. In 2011, a video resurfaced on Social Media displaying Ted Williams standing next to traffic, homeless and requesting for donations. He gave a demonstration of his perfect performance of a promo for an ad. The video got surfaced the internet, and he became a sensation.
He got the job offer as a host of the reality show ‘Second Chances at Life,’ a show dedicated to people who got a second chance in life.
From there he has no turn back, and he battled addiction and poverty to become a big brand influencer on appearing in mainstream TV interviews. Now he is becoming a voice for top brands.
He also co-authored a book with Bret Witter named A Golden Voice: How Faith, Hard Work, and Humility Brought Me from the Streets to Salvation.
Ted Williams and Ranu Mondal are examples of people who have never given up despite facing the worst circumstances.
Teri Meri Kahani Full Song (Youtube Video)
Some Unknown Facts About Ranu Mondal
- Ranu Mondal was born in a low-income family in Krishnanagar, West Bengal.
- Her parents had passed away when she was too young.
- She spent her childhood at her aunt’s house in Ranaghat, West Bengal.
- She was attracted to music from a very young age.
- From her childhood onwards, she used to listen to the songs of Mohammed Rafi, Mukesh, and Lata Mangeshkar and sing along.
- She got married to Bablu Mondal, who was her neighbor at the age of 19.
- Later, she went to Mumbai along with her husband in search of work for the living.
- Her husband worked as a cook at Bollywood actor Feroz Khan’s house in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Initially, she did many odd jobs there.
- At that time, she got an opportunity to sing at a local club in Mumbai. While singing at the club, she gained the name of ‘Ranu Bobby.’
- For a while, she worked there as a singer and then left the job as her husband didn’t want her to work there.
- She suffered from depression after the demise of her husband, and later she migrated to her hometown.
- There, she continued her life in poverty and started singing songs at the Ranaghat Railway Station to earn for her living.
- In July 2019, Atindra Chakraborty, a 26-year old engineer, spotted her singing a Lata Mangeshkar‘s song at the Ranaghat Station. He shot her singing video with his mobile and shared it on his Facebook profile with his friends.
- The video went viral; it received 4 million views and even more within a few days, which made Ranu an internet sensation.
- After she gained recognition, few people tend to approach her and offered her food.
- A salon near to her place offered her a free makeover.
- She was congratulated by the local Block Development Officer (BDO) of the West Bengal Government as part of the government’s Kanyashree Divas celebrations and even got assurance from the Government for her assistance.
- Ranu was invited for a guest performance on the reality TV show “Superstar Singer.” She sang the rendition of the song “Ek Pyaar Ka Nagma Hai” in the show and received the tremendous appraisal.
- When the host asked her the reason for singing songs at the railway station, she answered that she didn’t have a home and used to sing songs to earn a living. Further, she told him that people sometimes offered her food or money after listening to her songs.
- Himesh Reshammiya, the Bollywood musician, got so impressed with her singing performance and talent. He offered her to sing a song for his upcoming film.
- She debuted in Bollywood as a singer with the song ‘Teri Meri Kahani’ for the film “Happy Hardy and Heer” in 2019.
- Himesh shared a short version of the song while it was being recorded by Ranu in the studio through his Instagram account.
- As per reports, Himesh has paid Rs. 6-7 lakhs as the remuneration to Ranu Mondal for her debut Bollywood song.
- She is a huge admirer of the famous Indian Singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- There is a rumor that she has received a house as a gift from Bollywood actor Salman Khan.
- Atindra Chakraborty (the person who posted her video on Social Media website Facebook), while revealing the details of his encounter with Ranu Mondal, says-
I was hanging out with my friends at a tea stall on platform No 6. A Rafi’s song was playing in the radio aloud. Suddenly, I heard a lady humming to the tune as she sat on the platform floor. I went to her and asked her if she could sing something for us. As per our request, she sang a song, and I recorded it on my mobile. We were surprised at how melodious her voice was.”
- In an interview, she said that she was able to meet her one and only daughter, Sathi Roy, after almost ten years because of the video that surfaced the internet. She expressed her happiness and said that this was her second life, and she would try hard to make it better.
- Ranu’s story of getting recognition is similar to the success story of Ted Williams, who was the famous American voice-over artist, author, sportscaster, and philanthropist. Like Mondal, William also received recognition after the video of his demonstration of a promo for a radio advertisement surfaced the internet.
- When Lata Mangeshkar was asked to comment on Ranu Mondal’s claim to fame, she said,
“Agar mere naam aur kaam se kissiko bhala hota hai toh main apne-aap ko khush-kismat samajhti hoon (If anyone benefits from my name and work, I feel fortunate). But I also feel imitation is not a reliable and durable companion for success. By singing my songs or Kishore Kumar’s, or (Mohd) Rafi Saab’s, or Mukesh Bhaiyya or Asha’s (Bhosle) numbers, aspiring singers can get short-term attention. But it won’t last.”
- Elizabeth Sathi Roy, Ranu’s daughter, was highly criticized on social media for abandoning her mother for almost ten years. However, she claimed that she didn’t know that her mother used to sing on Ranaghat Railway Station as she was not able to visit her regularly.
- She also opposed the rumors that she had united with her mother only after her mother got fame; she claimed that she was always in touch with Ranu.